Sunday, March 25, 2012

Easy being green

I never considered myself a "green" person, until lately. I've suddenly become more conscious of natural products, recycling, and repurposing. I feel this need to take care of the earth and help keep it clean. Maybe it's motherly instincts coming out; I don't know. I now use vinegar and water to clean, and I love it. I love that it's natural products, it doesn't contain all those nasty chemicals and it cleans just as well. I am trying to use less processed food. I'm cooking with more fresh ingredients. I now view things that I may have put in my trash can or recycle bin as things I can put to a new use. It's driving Alex a bit nuts because I'm saving so much stuff to reuse. My recycle bin and trash can are so much emptier.

And, now pinterest is my new addiction. I love to pin all things green. Like, how to repurpose cereal boxes. How to make a purse out of an old tank top. It's wonderful. I've pinned and pinned; now I need to craft and do. I'm currently making an herb garden in a large enamel pot that I have. My next project is to use some old cereal boxes and make cardboard letters spelling Brenlie's name. I also want to try making jewelry out of newspaper. There is so much to do, yet no time to do it. I really need to focus on getting one project done, then moving to the next. At least my addiction is a good one that is helping our planet just a little bit more!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

this is such a great thing! I have found that people waste so much stuff and throw money away on things (especially cleaners!) when they can use everyday household items that are much safer for the environment and your family. I use water+vinegar+lavendar oil+tea tree oil (a natural antibacterial) for cleaning floors- works great and leaves the house smelling wonderful! I also save empty containers for things- also, it drives Bruce nuts! LOL

I warned you about Pinterest. :)

Amy said...

Ok, Jenn, couple of questions. Where do you get lavendar oil and tea tree oil? Also, how many parts of each do you use?